Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Hedonist, Epicurean, Cyrenaic or Decadent?

And so here I sit in my library, in my favorite Ralph Lauren jacket sipping champagne and smoking a cigar (Arturo Fuentes Curly Headed Deluxe is my daily brand while Monte Cristo Rothschils are my favorite). Why confine your pleasure to strict puritan timetables? I certainly don’t and neither should you, unless of course you happen to be a Puritan, in which case I urge you to flee from this place lest you should be corrupted. Darby has had enough angry mothers threatening him with loaded skeet guns and more than one martini thrown in his face, thank you very much. Darby shall not be held responsible.
 When I call myself the “Unapologetic Hedonist” I will beg you, gentle reader, to excuse the hyperbole. In all actuality, I am an Epicurean, that great school of philosophy which replaced the ultra-hedonist school from Cyrenaica. The aim is perpetual pleasure without excess, for excess leads to pain and pain is evil.
Brilliant and simple yes? But let not that crude simplification of the great school delude you into thinking that being an Epicurean and Aesthete is simple; not by any stretch of the word. Being surrounded by beauty takes work, a great deal of it actually. One must take into consideration the manner in which he attires himself, what he eats, how he speaks, what he reads, the people he associates with and what he does in his spare time.
I am here to help. I literally have a degree in decadence; for my master’s thesis I wrote on the English Aesthetes, the French Decadents and how they were influenced by Greco-Roman antiquity. I have the answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment